Re: nasm over gas?

From: Aaron Lehmann
Date: Fri Sep 05 2003 - 18:55:16 EST

On Thu, Sep 04, 2003 at 10:57:12PM +0800, Michael Frank wrote:
> As to using assembler, It is better to get rid of it but in special cases.
> Todays compilers are the better coders in 98+% of applications

This has already been shot down pretty well but a good example of why
it's not true is George Woltman's prime95 (mprime on linux) program.
The core is an FFT which has been painfully rewriten several times for
different cores to maximize performance. It makes extensive use of
SSE2 on the P4, which I haven't seen compilers do much of. George is a
great coder and he's pipelined everything so well that there really
isn't much room for improvement. This assembly is several times faster
than what gcc would be able to generate.