Re: 2.6.0-test4-mm5

From: Diego Calleja García
Date: Fri Sep 05 2003 - 13:06:54 EST

El Sat, 06 Sep 2003 02:17:22 +1000 Nick Piggin <piggin@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> escribió:

[chaging email to avoid smart spam detectors]

> I think Martin is right here. I don't know what would be a good reason
> for wanting X to work nicely with a make -j25 running. X typically
> needs at least 75% CPU on my box to be nicely interactive when moving
> a window or scrolling something complex. This gives only 1% to each
> cc1.

I know; obiously it has not sense to ask that people makes -j25
smooth here; there's no way of doing that (with gcc 3.x :)

I just pointed out that -mm4 was a bit better under that load, specially
mp3 skips.

> So I've found I'm getting more consistent behaviour, but it is now
> very dependant on nice to get X running well under load. I'm
> concentrating on getting it working well with make -j <= 6.

I just hope 2.6 is shipped with a "decent" scheduler. Mp3 players are
probably the most important apps nowadays :P