Re: Driver Model 2 Proposal - Linux Kernel Performance v Usability

From: insecure
Date: Thu Sep 04 2003 - 17:16:37 EST

On Friday 05 September 2003 00:16, James Clark wrote:
> I agree that at first sight the two concepts (Binary 'plugins' and GPL)
> don't mix well but this is actually FUD which obscures the issue of making
> the kernel much easier to deal with for the masses. Like it or not, 99+% of
> 'potential users' don't want/need to recompile their whole kernel, with the
> risks that it has, to add one minor feature.

Those 99+% are going to use a distro. A popular Linux distro
is a rough equivalent of a Windows install disk in terms of
ease of use, feature set and intended audience.
Distro can handle this problem (of driver ABI or absence thereof)
in any way it wants. I can imagine it can even go to the great pains
and introduce binary driver ABI. But unlikely.

OTOH I believe core kernel folks will not accept your proposal.
Stay a bit longer on lkml and you will understand why.
--
vda