Re: Scaling noise

From: Martin J. Bligh
Date: Wed Sep 03 2003 - 21:56:36 EST

>> --Larry McVoy <lm@xxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote (on Wednesday, September 03, 2003 17:36:33 -0700):
>> > They have to be, CPUs are fast enough
>> > to handle most problems, clustering has worked for lots of big companies
>> > like Google, Amazon, Yahoo, and the HPC market has been flat for years.
>> > So where's the growth? Nowhere I can see. If I'm not seeing it, show
>> > me the data. I may be a pain in the ass but I'll change my mind instantly
>> > when you show me data that says something different than what I believe.
>> > So far, all I've seen is people having fun proving that their ego is
>> > bigger than the next guys, no real data. Come on, you'd love nothing
>> > better than to prove me wrong. Do it. Or admit that you can't.
>>
>> Not quite sure why the onus is on the rest of us to disprove your pet
>> theory, rather than you to prove it.
>
> Maybe because history has shown over and over again that your pet theory
> doesn't work. Mine might be wrong but it hasn't been proven wrong. Yours
> has. Multiple times.

Please, this makes no sense. Why do you think IBM and others make large
machines? Stupidity? From my experience they're hard assed "if it don't
make a profit, nor is likely to, then it can piss off" marketeers. Which
often pisses me off, but still ... if it didn't make money, they wouldn't
do it. And no, I can't go get you internal confidential sales figures,
but I'll bet you we're not selling these things at a loss for our own
general self-flagellating amusement.

I don't think you're stupid, but please ... who do you think has better
data on this? IBM market research people? or you? I think I'd bet on IBM.

M.