Re: Problems compiling kernel 2.4.22

From: Richard B. Johnson
Date: Wed Sep 03 2003 - 12:27:35 EST

On Wed, 3 Sep 2003, Alberto Manuel [ISO-8859-1] Brandão Simões wrote:

> On Wed, 2003-09-03 at 17:58, Richard B. Johnson wrote:

> > [SNIPPED...]
> >
> > BYW. Did you try booting the new system, THEN, executing `depmod -a` ?
> ok. In this case, it does not give any broken reference.
> But, then, why does make modules_install run depmod if we know (almost
> certain) that it will give broken references?

`make modules_install` executes depmod to create some entries in the
new /lib/modules/$(VERSION)/modules.dep. It probably should have
it's error output redirected to /dev/null because the kernel you
are going to use the modules with, may not require the exported
symbols found missing.

> But, I need some more help. I can't load any ACPI modules, getting a No
> such device as answer. I don't have also a /proc/acpi directory.

This is a different problem and has nothing to do with:
*** Unresolved symbols in /lib/modules/2.4.22/kernel/net/ipv4/ipip.o

You need to review your configuration and see what else needs
to be turned ON to get ACPI to work.

`grep ACPI .config`... Bet it's "CONFIG_ACPI is not set"

> Thanks for any help.
> Alberto

Cheers,
Dick Johnson
Penguin : Linux version 2.4.22 on an i686 machine (794.73 BogoMips).