Re: repeatable, hard lockup on boot in linux-2.6.0-test4 (more details)

From: Dale E Martin
Date: Wed Sep 03 2003 - 07:42:36 EST

> Looks like it. Please add a DB() to the start of i8042_interrupt(),
> see if we locked up in an interrupt storm.

I believe this is what's happening - i8042_interrupt is getting called at a
very fast rate and we never do anything else. (I suppose that's the
definition of an interrupt storm - this is my first foray into kernel
programming aside from fixing compiler errors.)

As others have suggested, booting with "pci=noacpi" fixes the problem.
(Leaving the debug statement in there, I'd estimate that i8042_interrupt
gets called at about 25 times a second - about a screenfull a second or
so.)

So, anyone else with this problem can plug in a PS/2 mouse or boot with
"pci=noacpi" to work around it.

The last thing I would mention is that 2.5.75 ran fine on this machine, so
I guess this problem has crept in since then.

> There's an ugly in the irq code there: if i8042_check_mux() or
> i8042_check_mux() are called while the device is open we end up freeing
> the wrong IRQ. It is unlikely to help though.

I did apply this patch, and it did not visibly help.

Thanks for the help, let me know if you'd like me to try anything else.

Take care,
Dale
--
Dale E. Martin, Clifton Labs, Inc.