Re: Insert a Propreitary Encapsulation module to PPP

From: Marcelo Abreu
Date: Tue Sep 02 2003 - 23:28:54 EST

Vanitha wrote:
I want to insert a module which will add a proprietary encapsulation header
(specific to our systems) and then send out the ppp packet over serial
interface (it will either be a High speed serial interface or a V.35
interface).

You could create a new module based on hdlc_ppp.c, changing the
following line in hdlc_ppp_ioctl():

dev->hard_start_xmit = hdlc->xmit;

to:

dev->hard_start_xmit = my_new_xmit;

Then you implement my_new_xmit() that adds the encapsulation and
calls hdlc->xmit() at the end.

See also hdlc_raw_eth.c on 2.6. It does exactly this.

Marcelo