Re: [linux-usb-devel] 2.6.0-test4 - PL2303 OOPS - see also 2.4.22: OOPS on disconnect PL2303 adapter

From: Michael Frank
Date: Tue Sep 02 2003 - 17:16:49 EST

On Wednesday 03 September 2003 00:43, Greg KH wrote:
> On Tue, Sep 02, 2003 at 01:39:08AM +0800, Michael Frank wrote:
> > PL2303 is used to connect the serial console on a classic serial port
> > of a test machine. HW nandshaking is used
> > The test machine reboots once a minute and dumps lots of messages
> >
> > Frequently:
> > - driver hangs
> > - userspace (cu) can't be stopped
> > - pl2303 and/or usbserial can't be unloaded
> > - USB interrupts stop
> > - problems result in requiring a reboot.
>
> Hm, it looks like you physically removed the device, is that correct?
> Or were you just unloading the pl2303 and other USB drivers and then
> reloading them?
>
> What exactly were you doing in this log?
>
> Oh, and can you send a copy of /proc/bus/usb/devices with your pl2303
> device plugged in?

Whenever it stops working I follow this sequence, which you can match
to the logs.

1) Exit cu by ~.
- if this does not work
try \r~.
- if this does not work
Send SIGHUP, (which so far always worked)

2) Start cu again
- if it prints leftover characters
exit cu again by ~. and continue from step 2)

3) If it still not works and hangs again
- for a few tries
unplug PL2303, wait a second replug and goto step 2)

4) If it still does not work
- Remove PL2303, unload and reload usb (all) and
plug PL2303 again
- If module unloading fails, or interrupts died
(no response to plugging) > reboot

Regards
Michael