Lockups with 2.4.22 on a dual P3/Katmai

From: Joseph Pingenot
Date: Tue Sep 02 2003 - 14:36:59 EST

Hello.

I'm getting lockups on my dual P3 Katmai system under 2.4.22. It worked
fine with 2.4.21-pre4 (I had an uptime of about 130 or so days), but
I tried to upgrade to 2.4.22 and it's now started locking up. I get
no Oops output or anything. I've tried both the vanilla 2.4.22 and
the vanilla 2.4.23-pre1 kernels.
Symptoms: screen will occasionally go blank for a split second, then
the system locks up after about half an hour to two hours (doesn't seem
to be a strict time). When it locks up, I don't notice any LEDs on the
keyboard flashing, and I don't notice any other activity. The Magic
SysRq sync and unmount keys have no effect, so far as I can tell. It
seems to be truly locked up. The reset button will, however, reset
the computer; I don't have to pull the plug.
Any ideas on what might be causing this? Anything I can do to get
a better idea what's going on?
Thanks!

-Joseph

--
trelane@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
"We continue to live in a world where all our know-how is locked into