devfs to be obsloted by udev?

From: Ed Sweetman
Date: Tue Sep 02 2003 - 13:21:26 EST

It appears that devfs is to be replaced by the use of udev in the not so distant future. I'm not sure how it's supposed to replace a static /dev situaton seeing as how it is a userspace daemon. Is it not supposed to replace /dev even when it's completed? I dont see the real benefit in having two directories that basically give the same info. Right now we have something like that with proc and sysfs although not everything in proc makes sense to be in sysfs and both are virtual fs's where as /dev is a static fs on the disk that takes up space and inodes and includes way too many files that a system may not use. If udev is to take over the job of devfs, how will modules and drivers work that require device files to be present in order to work since undoubtedly the udev daemon will have to wait until the kernel is done booting before being run.

I'm just not following how it is going to replace devfs and thus why devfs is being abandoned as mentioned in akpm's patchset. Or as it seems, already has been abandoned.