Re: bandwidth for bkbits.net (good news)

From: Henning P. Schmiedehausen
Date: Tue Sep 02 2003 - 02:02:35 EST

Andrea Arcangeli <andrea@xxxxxxx> writes:

>> It doesn't work when you dont control incoming. As a simple extreme
>> example if I pingflood you from a fast site then no amount of shaping
>> your end of the link will help, it has to be shaped at the ISP end.

>sure, that's why I said it won't work with synflood. I just doubt the
>ping/syn floods distributed denial of services are an high percentage of

The traffic on sites like www.microsoft.com, www.kernel.org or I'd say
even www.bkbits.net isn't distinguishable from a DDoS Synflood on a
regular day. A bazillion of different IP addresses from all over the
net trying to establish a TCP connection at the same time. And the
other sides are dog-slow modem/isdn/dsl connections which means high
latency, low bandwith, many retransmits and still they're legal
connections that you want to serve.

Forget it. You can't compare your homegrown ISDN/DSL line with the
traffic of a serious internet service. If you try, you get burned.

Regards
Henning

--
Dipl.-Inf. (Univ.) Henning P. Schmiedehausen INTERMETA GmbH
hps@xxxxxxxxxxxx +49 9131 50 654 0 http://www.intermeta.de/

freelance consultant -- Jakarta Turbine Development -- hero for hire

"Dominate!! Dominate!! Eat your young and aggregate! I have grotty silicon!"
-- AOL CD when played backwards (User Friendly - 200-10-15)