Re: dontdiff for 2.6.0-test4

From: Charles Lepple
Date: Mon Sep 01 2003 - 17:31:08 EST

Mike Fedyk wrote:
[...]
mrproper:
@find . $(RCS_FIND_IGNORE) \
\( -name '*.orig' -o -name '*.rej' -o -name '*~' \
-o -name '*.bak' -o -name '#*#' -o -name '.*.orig' \
-o -name '.*.rej' -o -size 0 \
-o -name '*%' -o -name '.*.cmd' -o -name 'core' \) \
-type f -print | xargs rm -f
$(call cmd,mrproper)

But dontdiff is a list of files that must be skipped, not a regex, right?
Then dontdiff will be useless until a build has been done on that kernel tree.

Not really. From the diff manpage:

-X FILE --exclude-from=FILE
Exclude files that match any pattern in FILE.

You may want to take a look at a copy of dontdiff (noting the shell patterns). It looks like dontdiff could be generated from mrproper's list of scratch files (with the exception of the '-size 0' test in the 'find' command) but I could be wrong.

FWIW, the $(RCS_FIND_IGNORE) part skips some version-control directories that dontdiff doesn't mention. I guess the party line is that you should use the version control system for doing diffs in that case, but whatever.

If you try to replace dontdiff with a dynamically generated list, be sure and have a few folks test it out on different trees (including ones managed by BK and SVN) to make sure you haven't broken anything.

-C