Re: Complete system freeze running test3, should I investiage?

From: Adrian Bunk
Date: Sun Aug 31 2003 - 13:57:07 EST

On Fri, Aug 29, 2003 at 08:38:32AM +1200, Corrin Lakeland wrote:

> Hi all,

Hi Corrin,

> I'm running fairly standard x86 hardware (VIA chipset, athlon, etc.)
> The system was quite stable running 2.4, but since upgrading to 2.6
> I've had three complete system freezes. Mouse and keyboard frozen,
> can't ping, nothing at all in the logs. I was hoping to submit a bug
> report but alt-sysrq didn't work. So, would people like me to
> investigate further (and if so, how?) or shall I just ignore it?

this should be fixed but it's obviously hard to identify the problem.

It's unlikely it will help, but perhaps answering the following
questions might pin it down:

What is the purpose of the machine (client, fileserver,...)?
Which Linux distribution is on the machine?
Any special/unusual software?
What was running at the time of the freezes (e.g. untar'ing a kernel
source or watching a movie)?
What hardware (e.g. exact motherboard, graphics card,...) is in the
computer?

> Corrin

cu
Adrian