Re: bandwidth for bkbits.net (good news)

From: Larry McVoy
Date: Sun Aug 31 2003 - 11:24:21 EST

On Sun, Aug 31, 2003 at 05:44:50PM +0200, Andrea Arcangeli wrote:
> > It doesn't work when you dont control incoming. As a simple extreme
> > example if I pingflood you from a fast site then no amount of shaping
> > your end of the link will help, it has to be shaped at the ISP end.
>
> sure, that's why I said it won't work with synflood.

Someone syncs w/ bkbits every 19 seconds 24x7. We also run our web server
here. All traffic to from bitmover.com/bitkeeper.com/bkbits.net goes
through that T1 line.

You guys who are saying it can work are thinking (a) one connection of
long duration (think about all the web hits on bkbits.net, those are all
short and new TCP connections) and (b) that a little settling time is OK.

There is a reason that the phone networks don't work like IP networks.
The bandwidth is allocated whether you use it or not and your phone works.
Doing optimistic allocation and then backing off means that the phones
don't work.
--
---