How to choose between ip 2 identical ethernet cards

From: don fisher
Date: Fri Aug 29 2003 - 19:33:19 EST

Sorry for a bit off topic.

I have a Dell 8200 laptop and a docking station, both with 3c905C ethenet chips. I wish to use the 3c905c internal to the docking station when the system is docked. Otherwise the 3c905c internal to the 8200. In my office I would like to run with both eth0 and eth1, but I need to be able to connect the correct interface to the correct cable. The same module is loaded for both devices.

The HOWTOs I found all assumed you had old cards with fixed addresses. These could be specified as options in modules.conf. From the Net-HOWTO:
alias eth0 ne
alias eth1 ne
alias eth2 ne
options ne io=0x220,0x240,0x300
But this does not seem to apply to the 3c59x driver. modinfo doesn't even list "io" as a valid option.

I did find:
1) in /proc/ioports, one of the devices is listed with "(#2)" after it.
2) in /etc/sysconfig/hwconf, one of the devices has
subDeviceId = 00d4, the other 00de.

I have tried changing the order of loading modules, along with a few vain attempts in modules.conf. For info, this is a Redhat system. Where is the definition as to which device will be associated with eth0 made?

Any assistance would be appreciated. I did try to RTFM, I just can't find the correct "fine manual";-)
thanks
don

| Don Fisher dfisher@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx |
| Steward Observatory |
| 933 N. Cherry Ave. VOICE: (520)621-7647 |
| University of Arizona FAX: (520)621-9843 |
| Tucson, AZ 85721 |