Re: ->pid in filesystem code

From: viro
Date: Fri Aug 29 2003 - 03:19:19 EST

On Thu, Aug 28, 2003 at 12:12:38PM -0700, Ulrich Drepper wrote:
> cifs:
>
> apparently uses current->pid to keep track of locking. This might
> mean that the current implementation is actually getting things very
> wrong, at least from the Unix semantics. Locking happens on process
> basis. I count 11 uses of ->pid, all suspicious. Using this
> filesystem with NPTL seems to be risky in the moment.

s/with NPTL//. I'm fairly certain that fs/cifs went into the tree without
a review and what's more, in this case I have very strong suspicion that
it might have been deliberately obfuscated to scare potential reviewers off.
Whatever the cause might be, the code *is* obfuscated enough to make it very
hard to review and it certainly contains a lot of dubious stuff.

> intermezzo:
>
> Wow, don't know where to start. A gazillion uses of ->pid. Some are
> print statements but there are others where the value is assigned to
> elements of some internal data structures. I think I would strongly
> suggest to avoid this filesystem when using NPTL until it is clear
> that there are no issues.

intermezzo needs a serious rewrite before it will be usable in 2.6. Authors
had promised to do something about it, but so far it hadn't reached the Linus'
tree.

> umsdos:
>
> The pid seems to be used for some kind of locking. Might be that
> using ->pid is correct here. In that case it needs comments.

Doesn't even build. Will need a rewrite or removal - it had been rotting
for a *long* time.