Re: usb-storage: how to ruin your hardware(?)

Date: Wed Aug 27 2003 - 22:02:11 EST

> With your NVRAM drive, it is likely that the drive parameters
> are 'protected' by a partition table. If you overwrite this
> partition table, the drive becomes broken. This means that,
> whatever you do, you can't modify some important portion
> of that table.

the contradiction to this is that the flashdisk can be used
in a "partition-less" state where it is possible to use the
whole device at one: "mke2fs /dev/sdb". you have to use the
vendor formating-tool to make the flashdisk look like an USB_FDD
device. but even in USB_HDD mode with partitions, the partitions
still look strange, not ending on cylinder boundaries and so on.

oh my. I guess I gonna contact Panram then and of course,
thanks for the URL to the USB-snoop utility.

thx
h.rosmanith