binary kernel drivers re. hpt370 and redhat

From: joe briggs
Date: Wed Aug 27 2003 - 16:42:05 EST

I have a client who has a raid controller currently supported under windows,
and now wants to support linux as a bootable device. Currently, some of
their trade secrets are contained in the driver as opposed to the controller
firmware, etc., so for now they wish to release a binary-only driver to
certain beta customers. (i.e., 1st stage of porting is similar functionality
as windows). Am I correct that in order to boot off of this device that the
driver would have to be statically linked in vs. a module which could be
distributed as a binary-only driver keyed to the kernel.revision of the
distribution's kernel? I would like to avoid any flames and ask that all
recognize that some hardware providers are having to ease into the pond a toe
at a time. Any constructive thoughts, suggestions, references, tips, etc.
highly appreciated.

--
Joe Briggs
Briggs Media Systems