Re: tasklet_kill will always hang for recursive tasklets on a UP

From: Juergen Quade
Date: Wed Aug 27 2003 - 13:23:00 EST

> Thanx for ur inputs. I think that I am missing something in ur
> explanation. Can u please elaborate. In the meantime, the approach that I

Maybe it is easier we make it the other way round.
If you look at the code of tasklet_kill:

void tasklet_kill(struct tasklet_struct *t)
{
if (in_interrupt())
printk("Attempt to kill tasklet from interrupt\n");

while (test_and_set_bit(TASKLET_STATE_SCHED, &t->state)) {
do
yield();
while (test_bit(TASKLET_STATE_SCHED, &t->state));
}
tasklet_unlock_wait(t);
clear_bit(TASKLET_STATE_SCHED, &t->state);
}

Can you explain me, what the last statement
clear_bit(TASKLET_STATE_SCHED, &t->state);
is for?

> will like is to have another state TASKLET_STATE_KILLED so the code
> changes that need to be done are
>
> void tasklet_kill(struct tasklet_struct *t)
> {

> /*
> * Mark the tasklet as killed, so the next time around
> * tasklet_action does not call the handler for this tasklet
> */
> set_bit(TASKLET_STATE_KILLED, &t->state); <-- ADDED

What I don't like on this approach is, to add another flag (=state) to
the tasklet, which might make the world more complicated as necessary.
I will take some time to think about it, but can't do that today :-(

Beside this, if you can't use a function without looking
at the code and without experimenting with it, that
must lead to bugs! IMHO, here is a call for action.

Juergen.