Re: Promise IDE patches

From: Alan Cox
Date: Wed Aug 27 2003 - 10:47:12 EST

On Mer, 2003-08-27 at 16:12, Jan Niehusmann wrote:
> On Wed, Aug 27, 2003 at 03:59:52PM +0100, Alan Cox wrote:
> > If you fail to do this then existing PIO LBA48 setups will just die
> > on boot.
>
> But 'die on boot' is much better than 'silently currupt data', don't you
> think?
> Still, a proper fix would work in all cases...

You'd prevent people from using valid working file systems in ways
that don't corrupt.

I think the logic we need is something like

if drive_is_lba48 && controller_doesnt_do_lba48
clip_capacity

as a variant of the current change. That covers the "no way" case. For
the others we need to check capacity requires lba48 && !dma_lba48
somewhere, probably ide_dma_check. That would make us drop out of DMA
for unsafe setups in a way that doesnt cause crashes or suprises and
still let everyone access the data properly.