Re: 2.6.0-test4-mm2 didn't try to mount root

From: Helge Hafting
Date: Wed Aug 27 2003 - 06:46:13 EST

Andrew Morton wrote:
Helge Hafting <helgehaf@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

test4-mm1 with the same config works on the same machine,
and mounts root between "md: ... autorun DONE" and "Mounted devfs on /dev"

Root is supposed to be on the raid array, which did come up.
Lilo uses append="root=/dev/md/0".

Does reverting this fix it?

Thanks, that did the trick. Seems this "no root" stuff
didn't realize that I want a root after all.

> This patch allows a person to not require mounting a root device at startup.
> This works idealy for people trying to use the initramfs/sysfs as the only
> filesystem.
> What happens is that when the root device is set to 0,0 mount_root is not
> called.

There is more than one way to specify a root, it seems. I never
set any numbers for my root, I use the root=/dev/md/0 parameter
to the kernel. I don't have any initramfs.

Why don't those who want to keep an initramfs simply
specify root=/dev/root which don't need extra parsing?

Helge Hafting