Re: [2.6.0-test4] blocking access to mounted scsi devices

From: Christoph Hellwig
Date: Mon Aug 25 2003 - 07:09:36 EST

On Mon, Aug 25, 2003 at 05:04:53PM +1000, Douglas Gilbert wrote:
> A recent test of smartmontools on lk 2.6.0-test4 failed
> miserably on my main SCSI disk. It would seem that
> attempts to use either the:
> SCSI_IOCTL_SEND_COMMAND
> SG_IO
> ioctls on a mounted SCSI "block" device fail with EBUSY.
> These ioctls work fine on devices that don't have mounted
> file systems on then. If this is a new policy then it needs
> to be reconsidered. smartmontools still works ok on ATA disks
> in lk 2.6.0-test4.

That's because both mount (or e.g. volume managers) claims
devices for exclusive use, as does drivers/block/scsi_ioctl.c

> Both the ioctls in question still work via the corresponding
> scsi generic device.

Well, we either want both to work or not work. The current
situation is inconsistant.

> Will scsi generic devices make a
> re-appearance in sysfs (as indicated by Christoph when the
> relevant code in sg was removed)?

Yeah, I still need to come up with a way for class_interfaces
like sg to have sysfs entries. the TODO list is growing but
I'll take a look at this, promised.