Re: [2.4 PATCH] bugfix: ARP respond on all devices

From: Harley Stenzel
Date: Tue Aug 19 2003 - 16:27:26 EST

David S. Miller wrote:

And, as Alan said, we provide a way for one to obtain your networking
religion of week.

To the best of my knowledge, there is presently no way to change the arp behavior of Linux such that it uses the interface-based arp mechanizm in a manner compatable with load-balancing and hot-standby techniques involving aliasing the loopback interface. In all the proposed solutions the cache-update by an arp request problem still exists (arp source ip problem).

I would love to be proven wrong. Presently I have to either patch the kernel or suffer the throughput penalty of doing dnat to myself, all to do something that Solaris, AIX, HP-UX, *BSD, and even Windows can do natively.

--Harley