Re: [2.4 PATCH] bugfix: ARP respond on all devices

From: bill davidsen
Date: Tue Aug 19 2003 - 15:09:54 EST

In article <20030819112912.359eaea6.davem@xxxxxxxxxx>,
David S. Miller <davem@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
| On 19 Aug 2003 14:30:26 -0400
| Daniel Gryniewicz <dang@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
|
| > If you are not on a shared lan, then it will *ONLY* work if linux is
| > on the other end. No other system will work.
|
| And these other systems are broken. (actually, older Cisco equipment
| correctly responds to the ARP regardless of source IP)
|
| Just because some Cisco engineer says that it is correct doesn't
| make it is.

What you say is true, but in the real world being able to work with the
most commonly used network hardware is a hard requirement. When
"conforms to RFC" colides with "works" there's an issue, particularly
when the RFC allows several behaviours (bad RFC!).

I would hope that it is possible to get a single flag to force all
packets out of a NIC configured with the source IP in the packet, I
don't feel the need to make that the default behaviour, just to find
some alternative to patches or source routing.
--
bill davidsen <davidsen@xxxxxxx>
CTO, TMR Associates, Inc