Re: scheduler interactivity: timeslice calculation seem wrong

From: bill davidsen
Date: Tue Aug 19 2003 - 14:34:57 EST

In article <1061276043.6974.33.camel@orbiter>,
Eric St-Laurent <ericstl34@xxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

| Well, i was looking at TimeSys scheduler, trying something like that in
| 2.6 requires modifications to many files and it's a PITA to maintain a
| diff with frequents kernel releases. having a structure in place to
| plug-in other schedulers sure helps.

I agree. In fact I'm pretty sure I said something similar a while ago.
Unlike you I didn't do any major changes, certainly none I felt were of
general interest.

This could go in 2.7, though, or possibly in 2.6.x depending on how the
powers that be feel. I think having the scheduler as a plugin is a win
in terms of having whole special-use algorithms. It would have to be
done *very* carefully to be sure it didn't add measurable overhead.
--
bill davidsen <davidsen@xxxxxxx>
CTO, TMR Associates, Inc