RE: [2.4 PATCH] bugfix: ARP respond on all devices

From: Richard Underwood
Date: Tue Aug 19 2003 - 13:27:51 EST

David S. Miller wrote:

> In the ARP request we are using the source address in the packet we
> are building for output.

Well, you shouldn't be! The ARP request represents all FUTURE
packets being sent out that interface, not just the one single packet that
happened to kick of this ARP request.

> If ARP doesn't work using that source address, we can only assume IP
> communication is not possible either.

That's clearly not a valid assumption. For a start it precludes IP
routeing, but I've also demonstrated it not to be the case with a simple
multi-homed server.

Thanks,

Richard