Re: File access

From: Simon Haynes
Date: Tue Aug 19 2003 - 05:10:00 EST

I actually had a character interface which I use for on the fly
configuration. I have now implemented some code which uses a user process to
pass the configuration to the driver. I have however run into problems trying
to write files from the driver. I have tried implementing a user process
which performs a blocking read. The user process is blocked with
interruptible_sleep_on and is woken by the main part of the driver when it
needs to write. The problem is I then need to stall the main part of the
driver while the data gets written out. My problem is that this write needs
to happen from an interrupt handler or a timer process. I cannot seem to
block these with interruptible_sleep_on, the kernel crashes. I guess you
cannot use this in these cases ? I have also tried semaphores without much
success. I have looked for the howto but failed there also.

Could you please tell me where I could find this FAQ.

Many Thanks

Simon.