Re: cache limit

From: J.A. Magallon
Date: Tue Aug 19 2003 - 04:30:18 EST

On 08.19, Andrew Morton wrote:
> "J.A. Magallon" <jamagallon@xxxxxxx> wrote:
> >
> > > It was not. Instead we have fadvise. So it would be appropriate to
change

> > Does this work in 2.4 ?
> > If not, any patch flying around ?
>
> No. It would be fairly messy to implement in 2.4 because 2.4 does not have
> the per-inode radix trees for pagecache. The implementation would need to
> walk every page attached to the inode just to shoot down a single page.
> And all of it underneath the global pagecache lock.
>
> But it is certainly possible.

So could O_STREAMING be included in 2.4, and let people do things like

#if 2.4
fcntl(...O_STREAMING...)
#else
posix_fadvise()
#endif

Or, if fadvise just fails with error code in 2.4,
if (fadvise()<0)
fcntl(O_STREAMING)

Or even:
fadvise()
fcntl(O_STREAMING):
and let whatever succeed...

Or is it too dirt ?

TIA

--
J.A. Magallon <jamagallon@xxxxxxx> \ Software is like sex:
werewolf.able.es \ It's better when it's free