Re: Very bad interactivity with 2.6.0 and SCSI disks (aic7xxx)

From: Stefan Foerster
Date: Mon Aug 18 2003 - 14:57:41 EST

* "Justin T. Gibbs" <gibbs@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>> But as soon as I do a
>>
>> while true; do dd if=/dev/zero of=test bs=1024 count=1048576 ; rm test
>> ; done
>>
>> on my SCSI disk, the system becomes completely unusuable after a few
>> seconds. Everything is running at the speed of molasses, even screen
>> redrawing, the music stops playing for some seconds, my mouse hangs
>> and so on.
>
> It sounds like the system is not limiting the rate at which an I/O
> hog can dirty pages, so this one process ends up consuming all of
> your I/O bandwidth.

Well, this is not the desired behaviour, at least not for me. Any
ideas what I could do to solve this problem? I sent an oprofile output
to lkml, perhaps that helps?

I am more than willing to give every information needed to debug this
problem, because this bad interactive behaviuor is really annoying.

Is there a slight possibility that this problem is not specific to
2.5/2.6, because I encounter similar problems on 2.4?

Ciao,
Stefan
--
Stefan Förster Public Key: 0xBBE2A9E9
FdI #192: Strong international Encryption - Triple-ROT13 (Carsten Lechte)