Re: Fix up riscom8 driver to use work queues instead of task queueing.

From: Linus Torvalds
Date: Mon Aug 18 2003 - 13:27:03 EST

On Mon, 18 Aug 2003, Jeff Garzik wrote:

> Should we just make schedule_delayed_work(foo, 1) the default for a
> schedule_work() call?

Why? There are cases where you may really want to get the work done asap,
so the regular "schedule_work()" is the right thing. While the "delayed"
thing is for stuff that explicitly doesn't want to happen immediately,
because we expect to aggregate more into it.

Having done a few serial drivers (not because I want to, but because
nobody else seems to be doing them), I definitely see the need for both.

For example, the hangup case wants to be done asap, not delayed.

Linus