Re: Centrino support

From: Alan Cox
Date: Sun Aug 17 2003 - 14:28:48 EST

On Sad, 2003-08-16 at 20:58, Jan Rychter wrote
> Unfortunately, we live in a world of compromises. If I were RedHat, I'd
> stay real quiet and play nice in order to get Intel's cooperation on
> servers (which brings revenue) instead of fighting for laptops (which is
> a niche market for Linux, in a chicken-and-egg sort of way).

Vendors are beginning to make commitments to Linux support on some
laptops, in addition Intel and ATI in paticular have been doing nice
things to the laptop chipset market by drastically shrinking the number
of variants. Centrino in some ways is a help as is the ATI+ALI setup
used by all the nice mobile Athlon laptops - now when we get one working
the rest tend to just follow.

Alan