Re: nforce2 lockups

From: Alistair J Strachan
Date: Fri Aug 15 2003 - 12:47:38 EST

On Friday 15 August 2003 20:06, Clock wrote:
[SNIP]

> I have had three boards with nforce2 replaced (all of them Soltek
> SL75FRN2-L) and all three did the same. However it seemed the frequency of
> the crashes varies with actual piece of board.

That's certainly interesting.

> The crashes aren't in software - bare 'cat /dev/hda > /dev/null' is
> often to lock up the machine to the point that poweroff fails.

[root] 06:43 PM [/home/alistair] time cat /dev/discs/disc0/disc > /dev/null
(I ctrl-C'd here)

real 1m23.275s
user 0m0.979s
sys 0m12.608s

I don't know how obvious the problem is on your machine, but it's clearly not
an issue on this nForce2. When I was referring to software, that included the
kernel i.e., I suspect it isn't a design fault.

Any other details?

Cheers,
Alistair.