2.6 kbuild config logic and initrd

From: Oliver Tennert
Date: Thu Aug 14 2003 - 04:10:56 EST

Hello,

While trying to use initrds with the 2.6.0-test3 kernel,
I found out that ramdisk support (CONFIG_BLK_DEV_RAM) is allowed to be
modular, while at the same time initrd support (CONFIG_BLK_DEV_INITRD) can be
compiled into the kernel:

CONFIG_BLK_DEV_RAM=m
CONFIG_BLK_DEV_INITRD=y

This does not make sense, however, as no initial ramdisk can be loaded
while the generic ramdisk driver is outside the static kernel part!

Consequently, I promptly fell for it, though I agree that it should have
come to my mind before actually compiling the kernel!

In 2.4 kernels, the configuration logic does not allow that.

Regards

Oliver

--

Dr. Oliver Tennert science + computing ag
phone +49(0)7071 9457-598 Hagellocher Weg 71-75
fax +49(0)7071 9457-411 D-72070 Tuebingen, Germany
O.Tennert@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx www.science-computing.de