Re: [patch] scheduler fix for 1cpu/node case

From: Bill Davidsen
Date: Wed Aug 13 2003 - 16:02:13 EST

On Mon, 28 Jul 2003, Andrew Theurer wrote:

> Personally, I'd like to see all systems use NUMA sched, non NUMA systems being
> a single node (no policy difference from non-numa sched), allowing us to
> remove all NUMA ifdefs. I think the code would be much more readable.

That sounds like a great idea, but I'm not sure it could be realized short
of a major rewrite. Look how hard Ingo and Con are working just to get a
single node doing a good job with interactive and throughput tradeoffs.

Once they get a good handle on identifying process behaviour, and I
believe they will, that information could be used in improving NUMA
performance, by sending not just 'a job" but "the right job" if it exists.
I'm sure there are still a few graduate theses possible on the topic!

--
bill davidsen <davidsen@xxxxxxx>
CTO, TMR Associates, Inc