Swapfile Calculation / 2.4.18 | >

From: Pavlica, Nick
Date: Tue Aug 12 2003 - 15:59:13 EST

Note:
Please CC answers/comments you post to me.

All,
Our team is discussing the best approach to calculating the swap file size
for the 2.4.18 kernels and newer on systems with 6 - 8 Gb of RAM. Does the
"Double The System Ram" rule still apply?

I'm sorry if I offend anyone by posting this here, I'm just looking for an
authoritative / accurate response.

A quote on the topic from one of our engineers:

"I'd disagree on the Swapfile size. Swapfiles over 2 Gig are insane. If
a host is consuming 2+ Gig of real RAM, and consuming another 2 Gig of
Swap, something is wrong with the apps that are running on that host.
(I can go into a big tirade on how Linux VM works, if anyone wants ;) )"

Thanks for your suggestions!

--
Nick Pavlica
EchoStar Communications