Re: Requested FAQ addition - Mandrake and partial-i686 platforms

From: Alan Cox
Date: Tue Aug 12 2003 - 11:25:41 EST

On Maw, 2003-08-12 at 15:48, Brandon Stewart wrote:
> Apparently, there is an issue with glibc on versions less than 2.3.1-15
> (and maybe others), where it mistakenly treats CPUs as full i686
> compliant when they only execute a subset of the i686 instructions

VIA C3 has the full set of i686 required instructions. The whole story
is a lot more complex

gcc i686 mode outputs cmov instruction sequences without checking cmov
is present at runtime. So gcc "i686" is actually "i686 and a bit". It
actually doesn't really make sense to do a true i686 mode without cmov
either.

Red Hat's rpm knows about this so I'm suprised the Mandrake one gets it
wrong and installs arch=686 packages without checking for cmov.