Re: FS Corruption with VIA MVP3 + UDMA/DMA

From: Wes Janzen
Date: Sat Aug 09 2003 - 18:22:34 EST

Nothing runs on this one ;-)

WinXP/2003 will die from registry and unrecoverable NTFS filesystem corruption. Win98 will randomly corrupt driver files eventually leading to an unbootable system, or worse, a completely corrupted filesystem as scandisk happily crosslinks all the files (experienced this several times, just thought it was the hard drives and windows...since the drives would fail a few months later and since I had past experience with a Pentium 166 and HX system running Win95 doing this).

Linux fared better, but still would corrupt the filesystem, sometimes leading to an unusable system say if an important library is moved to lost+found during fsck. It was much more reliable than any Windows install and easily repairable. With windows, I had no choice but to re-install (backing up the registry after every boot worked until NTFS would eventually die). I lost a few data and help files under linux, but at this point I backed up all the time anyway (after my first installation was hopelessly mangled).

I've tried several PCI tweaks with 2.4 which didn't really seem to cure anything. My powertweak doesn't seem to like the 2.5 series kernels, so I haven't tried that. Not that it seems to matter, the promise controllers have much better throughput anyway even with the same modes and settings in hdparm. I tried all the hdparm combinations of dma modes and other settings with only a slight decrease in the chance of corruption and a corresponding dive in throughput. It worked through 2.5.74, but I finally disabled it for everything except my IDE ZIP drive and stuck in another promise card after concluding that it was just hopelessly broken.

It would have been nice if 2.4 would just refuse to use DMA, that way I'd have known about the problem much earlier. I would think with all the stuff in the kernel about the RZ1000, the problems with the MVP3 would be mentioned as well. As just a typical end user I couldn't figure out why Linux and reiserfs, which are supposed to be so stable wouldn't weren't. At this point I'd already run exhaustive memory , hard drive bad sector, and CPU tests without any failures so I was pretty certain it wasn't a hardware issue. Everyone I knew had crashes with Windows so those didn't surprise me so much.

It's a decent computer for web browsing and let's me gauge the performance of my business apps. It's a pretty good low-end target machine now that it doesn't write garbage to my drives.

I just think this should be documented in case someone sets up a proxy/firewall machine with this configuration. For the majority of home users, any higher-end machine is probably wasted on such an application. I setup such a system to share my parents dial-up connection over a wireless network. Of course, it's using an HX chipset and P233MMX so it's rock solid, only needing rebooted when the modem locks up (happened twice since I set it up a year ago). Even though it's running 2.4.18 and my dad likes to reset it rather than CTRL-ALT-DEL when the modem locks up, it has yet to corrupt reiserfs.

That's the kind of stability that got me really wondering about my system...

Jamie Lokier wrote:

insecure wrote:

The VP2/97 also had severe problems with DMA. I could never run
standard kernels on mind in the 2.0 days, and distro installs would
always lock up during installation, although Mandrake 8 seemed
reliable so something improved.

I had a VIA VPX sometime ago. AFAIR it worked fine...

I suspect PCI conf tweaks etc could work around
this trouble. I'm afraid there won't be much interest
in fixing these oldies. For example, I got rid of that
board (exchanged for Socket A one) -> no way to test fixes :(

I found a hdparm command which fixed it, though it wasn't much use
during distro installs. It was very pleasant to see Mandrake 8 just
work. Fwiw, Windows 95, 98 and NT4 have no problems on the box. It's
now my "Internet Explorer 4" test rig :)

-- Jamie