Re: [linux-usb-devel] usb-storage: WIN_SECURITY_UNLOCK

From: Andries Brouwer
Date: Sat Aug 09 2003 - 10:07:01 EST

On Sat, Aug 09, 2003 at 02:00:06PM +0100, Phoenix wrote:

> Is it possible to send ATAPI commands to usb-storage hard-disks, like
> WIN_SECURITY_UNLOCK, through the scsi inteface?
>
> I have an ALI5621 chipset that supports SCSI transparent command set
> only and I didn't find anything in SCSI-2 that is related to the ATAPI
> security features.

I think the general answer will be No.

A similar question is whether ide-floppy is superfluous and one can
do everything via ide-scsi. Again I think the answer will be No.

Indeed, ide-scsi uses the Packet command A0 of ATAPI to send
SCSI command packets to the ATAPI device. But there is no reason
to expect that all ATAPI commands are covered this way.
The first example is already A1: IDENTIFY PACKET DEVICE.
SCSI has INQUIRY, but that is not the same.

I have some ancient patches to ide-floppy.c that allow one
to switch an Iomega ZIP drive between large floppy and removable disk.
I do not know of a way to send these same commands via ide-scsi.

Andries