Re: 2.6.0-test2-mm1 results

From: Bill Davidsen (davidsen@tmr.com)
Date: Thu Jul 31 2003 - 12:03:32 EST

On Fri, 1 Aug 2003, Con Kolivas wrote:

> > Does this help interactivity a lot, or was it just an experiment?
> > Perhaps it could be less agressive or something?
>
> Well basically this is a side effect of selecting out the correct cpu hogs in
> the interactivity estimator. It seems to be working ;-) The more cpu hogs
> they are the lower dynamic priority (higher number) they get, and the more
> likely they are to be removed from the active array if they use up their full
> timeslice. The scheduler in it's current form costs more to resurrect things
> from the expired array and restart them, and the cpu hogs will have to wait
> till other less cpu hogging tasks run.

If that's what it really does, fine. I'm not sure it really finds hogs,
though, or rather "finds only true hogs."

> How do we get around this? I'll be brave here and say I'm not sure we need to,
> as cpu hogs have a knack of slowing things down for everyone, and it is best
> not just for interactivity for this to happen, but for fairness.

While this does a good job I'm still worried that we don't have a good
handle on which processes are realy interactive in term of interfacing
with a human. I don't think we can make the scheduler do the right thing
in every case unless it has better information.

--
bill davidsen <davidsen@tmr.com>
  CTO, TMR Associates, Inc