Re: linux-2.6.0-test2: Never using pm_idle (CPU wasting power)

From: Christian Vogel (vogel@skunk.physik.uni-erlangen.de)
Date: Thu Jul 31 2003 - 09:44:57 EST

Hi,

On Thu, Jul 31, 2003 at 10:12:51AM -0400, Charles Lepple wrote:
> about this (haven't instrumented it all the way), it also appears that
> pm_idle is not being called (for up to an hour, in some cases). Sometimes
> it takes only a few minutes, and other times, it appears to kick in after
> heavy CPU usage (kernel compiles, cpuburn, etc.).

Yes, exactly. Up to the first time need_resched() returns true and
the outer while(1){ } loop loops to update the idle-variable. Unfortunately
this never was the case on my system for a long time...

Probably the idle loop uses this local variable to be more cache-friendly,
but then any module updating pm_idle should probably set need_resched
to force an update of the idle function pointer?

        Chris

--
Read the OSI protocol specifications? I can't even *lift* them!