Re: 2.6.0-test2+Util-linux/cryptoapi

From: James Morris (jmorris@intercode.com.au)
Date: Wed Jul 30 2003 - 23:39:45 EST

On Thu, 31 Jul 2003, Frank v Waveren wrote:

> Moving to the slightly more ontopic stuff for lk@vger: Is access to
> the cryptoapi algorithms exposed to userspace yet?

No, there is no point (apart from testing) unless the kernel API is
providing access to crypto hardware.

> Thirdly, has the encryption setup changed again since 2.4.x with hvr's
> testing cryptoapi stuff? I have a filesystem encrypted with 256 bits
> serpent, yet it won't decrypt using 2.6.0-test2 and util-linux 2.12.

The kerneli serpent implementation is incorrect (it's reversed, a common
implementation problem with this algorithm).

> Lastly: Why the move from a /proc/crypto directory containing files
> for all the algorithms to one monolithic /proc/crypto file? Isn't the
> former a lot nicer from the userspace programmer's point of view?

Possibly, although it's probably too late to change now for 2.6.

- James

--
James Morris
<jmorris@intercode.com.au>