Re: TSCs are a no-no on i386

From: Adrian Bunk (bunk@fs.tum.de)
Date: Wed Jul 30 2003 - 19:22:31 EST

On Wed, Jul 30, 2003 at 10:33:18PM +0200, Jan-Benedict Glaw wrote:
> That sounds a tad inelegant to me. Really, I'd prefer to see libstdc++
> be compiled for i386 ...
>
> ...and IFF those new opcodes bring _that_ much performance, then we
> should think about another Debian distribution for i686-linux. Up to
> now, I was really proud of having _one_ distribution that's basically
> capable of running on all and any machines I own...

The 486 emlation patch for 386 is the way to still allow 386's to run
Debian.

To compile libstdc++ for 486 wasn't a performance question - a
libstdc++.so.5 compiled for 386 would have meant that C++ binaries
compiled on Debian wouldn't run on other Linux distributions and vice
versa [1] (it's a bug in libstdc++ that will AFAIR be fixed in gcc 3.4).

> MfG, JBG

cu
Adrian

[1] http://lists.debian.org/debian-devel/2003/debian-devel-200304/msg01895.html

--

"Is there not promise of rain?" Ling Tan asked suddenly out of the darkness. There had been need of rain for many days. "Only a promise," Lao Er said. Pearl S. Buck - Dragon Seed