Re: another must-fix: major PS/2 mouse problem

From: Mikael Pettersson (mikpe@csd.uu.se)
Date: Wed Jul 30 2003 - 14:18:01 EST

On 30 Jul 2003 08:29:32 -0400, Albert Cahalan wrote:

>> > Arrrgh! More PS/2 problems!
>> >
>> > I think the lost synchronisation is the problem, would you agree?
>> >
>> > The person who fixes this gets a Nobel prize.
>It won't make the mouse run well. Maybe you'd stop the
>mouse from going crazy from time to time, but there'd
>still temporary freezes from time to time. (not OK!)

FWIW, the problems my Dell Latitude had with the external
mice I use with it were significantly reduced once I added
"psmouse_noext" to the kernel's command line. That one
change eliminated all lost sync messages and general craziness
after resumes from suspended state.

To make the mouse move at proper speed w/o jerkiness I
also had to tweak the rate and scaling programmed into it
to match 2.4 defaults. (rate 100, scale 2:1)

In fairness, only my old Latitude has these PS/2 issues.

/Mikael