Re: 2.4 / 2.6 802.11g 54Mbs support ?

From: Roy Franz (lists@royfranz.com)
Date: Wed Jul 30 2003 - 11:28:20 EST

> I could not find anything regarding $SUBJECT.
> Next week I will be getting the Netgear WG602 (Access point),
> WG511 (PCMCIA card) and WG311 (PCI card), all of which are
> 54 Mbs 802.11g compliant.
> I will be able to test the PCI card on both 2.4 and 2.6.
> The PCMCIA card only under 2.4
> (My old (1999) via-based laptop doesn't like 2.6 but that's another
> story)
>

> Margit

The only support that I am aware of is for the Atheros a, a/b, and a/b/g
chipsets. Atheros has released a binary only driver (still very beta) -
for more info see:

http://sourceforge.net/projects/madwifi

Also, there is an effort to create an opensource driver for this
hardware at:

http://team.vantronix.net/ar5k/

This is driver is in its very early stages, only useful for serious
developers.

I am not aware of any drivers or efforts involving the Broadcom b/g
chipset, which seems to be the dominant chipset for b/g products.
(Although I don't know what radio the products you mentioned are based on.)

Roy