RE: Contributing to the kernel while being employed

From: Downing, Thomas (Thomas.Downing@ipc.com)
Date: Wed Jul 30 2003 - 10:05:55 EST

[IANAL] Did you ask about enforceability of such provisions? At a former
job, (in CT, USA) we were faced with such a contract. Some of us just
refused to sign. Others sought legal opinion. The common opinion was
that such "24 hour" provisions are largely unenforceable in our local
jurisdiction, baring other complicating factors, such as doing work that
might be viewed as either competitive or infringing on the work you do
for your employer. Or of course, using resources owned or paid for by
your employer.

Again, consult a lawyer first, if you are worried about risk!