Re: linux-2.6.0-test1 : modules not working

From: Randy.Dunlap (rddunlap@osdl.org)
Date: Wed Jul 30 2003 - 10:01:15 EST

On Wed, 30 Jul 2003 00:34:41 -0700 (PDT) Studying MTD <studying_mtd@yahoo.com> wrote:

| I am curious that linux-2.6.0-test1 supports external
| modules yet or not ?
|
| Thanks.
|
| --- Alex Goddard <agoddard@purdue.edu> wrote:
| > On Tue, 29 Jul 2003, Studying MTD wrote:
| >
| > > I tried hello world example from
| > > http://lwn.net/Articles/21817/
| > >
| > > but i am still getting :-
| > >
| > > #insmod hello_module.o
| > > No module found in object
| > > Error inserting 'hello_module.o': -1 Invalid
| > module
| > > format
| >
| > [Snip]
| >
| > 'kay. So modules are enabled and everything. More
| > specifically, I was
| > after information such as the gcc options and stuff
| > you used to compile
| > hello_module.o
| >
| > Check the second article at that URL, and try
| > building your hello_module
| > with the basic Makefile it gives. That uses the
| > best way for building
| > external modules. After building your kernel that
| > way, try inserting the
| > hello_module.ko.

So you can insmod hello_module.ko successfully now?

Sure, 2.6 supports external modules (if you mean modules that are
built outside of the kernel source tree), but for now you also
need a full kernel source tree for the build system to reference.
I.e., you can't build an external module without having a full
kernel source tree installed and configured.

--
~Randy
| http://developer.osdl.org/rddunlap/ | http://www.xenotime.net/linux/ |