Re: PATCH: Race in 2.6.0-test2 timer code

From: Ingo Molnar (mingo@elte.hu)
Date: Wed Jul 30 2003 - 05:34:39 EST

On Wed, 30 Jul 2003, Andrea Arcangeli wrote:

> I never did any 2.6 patch, so it maybe a different thing what you've
> seen, not what I applied to 2.4. Infact even the 2.4 patch isn't from
> me.

the 2.4 timer-scalability patches do have a problem: due to TIMER_BH the
actual timer expiry can happen on a different CPU, which opens up a
del_timer()/add_timer() race in the itimer code. Your patch closes that
hole.

But on 2.6 the timer will run precisely on the CPU it was added, so i
think the race is not possible.

        Ingo