Re: matroxfb and 2.6.0-test2

From: Frédéric L. W. Meunier (0@pervalidus.tk)
Date: Tue Jul 29 2003 - 22:19:56 EST

On Tue, 29 Jul 2003, Petr Vandrovec wrote:

> On 29 Jul 03 at 16:41, Frédéric L. W. Meunier wrote:
> > On Tue, 29 Jul 2003, Petr Vandrovec wrote:
>
> > > Unless it gets proven that it is bug in kernel's matroxfb and not
> > > in generic fbcon (== if you'll send me a patch, I'll apply it; but do
> > > not expect that I'll hunt down bugs which do not occur with matroxfb-2.5.72
> > > addon), I recommend you applying
> > > ftp://platan.vc.cvut.cz/pub/linux/matrox-latest/matroxfb-2.5.72.gz.
> > > It reinstates back fbcon layer I understand & trust...
> >
> > 2 other problems went away with your patch. When I reported no
> > screen corruption I was wrong since it messed everything
> > returning from XFree86, including getting a dump of a Windows
> > reboot. The other is the boot logo, which now appears.
>
> I think that screen corruption is just timming issue, and you
> should see it... On PII/333, with G400, Debian's XF4.2.1-9, if
> I set clocks in Gnome2 to show seconds, hardware is again reprogrammed
> every second by XFree on the background...

Here Athlon XP 1700+, XFree86 4.3.0.1, IceWM 1.2.9. Clocks with
seconds on both window manager and screen, but it happens
without them and if I just startx and close it. As I reported
it doesn't happen with your patch, but I may be seeing the
other "problem" you mentioned at
http://marc.theaimsgroup.com/?l=3Dlinux-kernel&m=3D105908939813118&w=3D2

"BTW, with my patch accented characters works correctly only on
VT1. I'm not sure how it behaves on Linus tree..."

Same behavior without your patch. Here I use setfont
lat1-16.psfu in my init scripts. All accents work on the first
console but on the others most miss them for capitals.