Re: [uClinux-dev] Kernel 2.6 size increase

From: Bernardo Innocenti (bernie@develer.com)
Date: Tue Jul 29 2003 - 21:49:37 EST

On Wednesday 30 July 2003 00:29, Tom Rini wrote:

> > Some of the bigger 2.6 additions cannot be configured out.
> > I wish sysfs and the different I/O schedulers could be removed.
> >
> > There are probably many other things mostly useless for embedded
> > systems that I'm not aware of.
>
> Well, from Pat's talk at OLS, it seems like sysfs would be an important
> part of 'sleep', which is something at least some embedded systems care
> about.

I tried stripping sysfs away. I just saved 7KB and got a kernel that
couldn't boot because root device translation depends on sysfs ;-)

> ... not that 2.6 doesn't need some good pruning options now, but maybe
> CONFIG_EMBEDDED isn't the right place to put them all.

In the long term the embedded menu would get cluttered with all kinds
of disparate options... I don't think I would like it.

\X/  http://www.develer.com/

Please don't send Word attachments - http://www.gnu.org/philosophy/no-word-attachments.html