Re: 2.6.0-test1 cryptoloop & aes

From: Bill Davidsen (davidsen@oddball.prodigy.com)
Date: Tue Jul 29 2003 - 18:28:39 EST

On Sunday 20 July 2003 04:38 am, Andries Brouwer wrote:
> On Sat, Jul 19, 2003 at 05:57:26PM -0700, Hielke Christian Braun wrote:
> > Then i installed the losetup from util-linux-2.12pre.
>
> You need util-linux-2.12 or later.
>
> (try ftp://ftp.cwi.nl/pub/aeb/util-linux or so)
>
> Andries

Thank you, that's the missing part. I will say that in limited use I have used
aes and twofish and they seem to work correctly. I copied a bunch of data
there, checked it against the md5 contents file and all data was correct, did
a bunch of renames, slinks, compiles, etc. unmounted and remounted a few
times. So far so good, this isn't critical data, but I'm leaning that way for
my laptop.

All this with 2.6.0-test1-ac2.

Now, for the bizarre test case, suppose I did three encrypted losetups, each
using a different encryption. Then I made a raid-5 array of the three loop
devices. created a filesystem on the md device, and ran on that. Forget the
practicality, this is a test to see of the parts are robust, can I do it and
will it work?

Now make two of those filesystems losetups of NBDs. Now I can recover if any
one machine is missing, no one can recover the data without compromising at
least two machines. again, forget practical, this is a test and maybe has
application to the devout fundamentalist paranoid. If I was going to do it
I'd loopback mount the md device, too ;-)